This is the ideal knot to suspend the shafts. It makes a loop so that the height of the shaft can be adjusted higher or lower.
Adjustable Loop Knot A
To make Jim’s adjustable loop:
- Tie the first part of a shoelace knot, leaving a very long tail-about 8″ to practice. Dont tighten it.
- Make a large loop in the tail. You can insert a ring or hook on the tail. The loop can be made with or without a hook.
- Take the tail back through where it came out of the shoelace knot. Don’t pull it all the way or you’ll lose the loop and untie the knot.
Adjustable Loop Knot B
Tighten the knot by pulling the tail and the standing end of the cord against the loop.
- Adjust the loop by pulling on the tail to make the loop or ring move closer to the knot. Tie a half hitch with the tail to secure it at the height desired.To untie the knot: Undo the half hitch remove the hook and pull on the tail.
Half hitch and double half hitch
These knots all use the half-hitch knot and can be made when you have only one tail for tying.
The half hitch isn’t enough to stand on its own as a knot, but two of them (double half hitch) or even three are very secure. I use a double half hitch to make a loop when putting the first thread on the warping peg. And I use it often when I have only one tail‹like to tie one end of a string to something. To make the half hitch:
Adjustable Loop Knot C
Using the tail as the worker, bend the end of the string around the object you’re tying the string to. Hold the standing end of the string and the tail taut by pulling them against the object.
- Take the tail and loop it over the standing end of the string. Be sure to go over the string and make a loop.
- Bring the tail around behind the standing end and through your loop.
- Tighten by pulling the tail and the standing end in opposite directions. You can adjust the size of the loop or you can slide the knot up against the object.
Continue to make a double half hitch:
- Make another half hitch in the same way (take the tail over and then behind to make another loop and take the tail through the loop). You can make three half hitches for a triple half hitch.To loosen a double half hitch: Pull on the tail to slightly capsize the knot, which loosens it.
Which cord is the standing end and which is the tail?
Often one of the cords is called the standing end, and the other the tail. The standing end is the cord that is very long which can be attached to something, for example, a spool. that cord’s end is not available for making the knot. The tail is simply the part of a cord near the tip, or cut end.
Watch for more knots in future tips. Would you like to know how to tie a weaver’s knot?? There are at least 3 ways to tie it–see the chapter on knots in “Warping Your Loom and Tying On New Warps“.