More Double Weave

Introduction:
While in the throes of getting my entry ready for the China exhibition, I thought I would continue with some double weave projects and ideas.

I made these ruffles several years ago and had post cards made to give out on a trip to Japan. They came about by surprise but then I made a few. They hung in the windows of two galleries. The Craft and Folk Art Museum in Los Angeles and a Gallery in Mill Valley. I was very proud of them.

The first ruffle began as a tube woven in very fine silk. Probably around 95 threads per inch in the warp. I was after moire. The moire didn’t work so I thought about turning the tube inside out to see if it would make moire then. About half-way through turning it inside out (like turning pants inside out) when it was all ruffled up I stopped dead. I thought this is something!

Here I was fussing with one during the photo shoot. I put tiny stitches here and there to keep the ruffles in place.

Here is the bottom of one of them.

20 thoughts on “More Double Weave”

1. I have admired these pieces for a long time. Thank you, Peggy, for sharing your methods and creative processes.
    Deborah

2. Peggy, You never cease to amaze me! I was ecstatic over the sun ruffles. I sat down to relax this evening at the picnic table outside after running my sawmill all day, started looking at my email and found your latest “More Double Weave”. I showed my wife the first picture and it just got better from there! Thanks for sharing this beautiful art.

3. Peggy, You never cease to amaze me! I was ecstatic over the silk ruffles. I sat down to relax this evening at the picnic table outside after running my sawmill all day, started looking at my email and found your latest “More Double Weave”. I showed my wife the first picture and it just got better from there! Thanks for sharing this beautiful art.

4. Just stunning! Thank you too for sharing your knowledge of the basics; it has opened a whole continent for me. You are so generous.

5. Love this. As well as that moment where you thought “now this is something!”. It’s a skill in itself, I think, to be able to step outside of what you thought a thing was and see its new possibilities.

6. Peggy, these ruffles are captivating and the photos really capture their beauty and intrigue. I am wondering whether the inside tube and the outside ruffle were originally the same length? It seems from the photo that if the ruffle were all straightened out, it would be longer than the interior tube?